Why I’ll never stop hopping fences.

Over the weekend, I was confronted with a choice: go inside and join a group, or hop a fence and be with nature.

I’d been invited to a gathering by a friend, and was *supposed* to be acting sociable. But I wasn’t in the mood, so I hid in the bathroom. A woman came in. Her name was Uma and she had pixie hair. She said she was going outside, did I want to join? We pushed open a heavy door. The afternoon air was fresh and warm and a grove of trees rustled just beyond a chain-link fence. We sat and talked in the sun, then reached through the fence to pick blackberries.

More than once, someone asked us to come back inside. Our rebellion seemed to bug them. But I was ready to take it one step further. To me, a fence doesn’t represent a barrier, it begs a challenge. You might say I have a problem with authority.

Yet, I didn’t want to disrespect the friend who’d brought me there, and I know group mentality comes from an essentially positive place of wanting to protect the tribe, so I just about relented and went back in. Then a cat ran out of the trees! A little tabby with bright green eyes! She stopped and stared at me, daring me to come play. And I thought, if I’m an artist then my whole m.o. should be defining myself as separate from the group, and other existential reasonings that boil down to this: I’m not a fucking joiner. I hopped the fence!

And spent a soul-satisfying, life-affirming afternoon with the trees. I picked more blackberries. I peed in the bushes. I laid in the grass, looked at the clouds and knew the truth: our human experience is as infinite as the moon’s daily pursuit of the sun. What I mean is, happiness isn’t reserved for some people, only some of the time. I tend to forget this.

Uma didn’t hop the fence, she let me do my thang. The best teachers know when to let a wild one roam. As the sky shifted and I made my way back to The Fence, I found myself getting caught in brambles. When I looked up from tugging my clothes free, I saw a well-worn path illuminated by the sun, just a few feet away.

Sometimes we choose a more difficult road, but it only takes a moment to walk back in the light.

Image

14 responses

1. “happiness isn’t reserved for some people, only some of the time ..” ha ha, I always knew and so many times been told, the smallest things can make me happiest girl … today it was your word’s turn. Cus I tend to forget too … loved it! 🙂

March 6, 2014 at 5:53 am

• I am honored! More to come on these themes and more…I really enjoyed your blog as well!

March 6, 2014 at 9:38 am

2. I love this. I definitely enjoy your style of writing and your posts make me happy! Keep it up 🙂

October 7, 2013 at 5:35 pm

• Sincerest thanks! I can’t believe I waited so long to join the blogging community, having an audience is so rewarding, why I started doing this in the first place! Appreciate you reading and thanks for the motivation!

October 10, 2013 at 8:36 am

• Well, I’m glad you have! 🙂 Now to go through all of your posts! ❤

October 12, 2013 at 12:06 pm

• Awesome I hope you enjoy! 🙂

October 12, 2013 at 9:00 pm

3. Reblogged this on ERIN GRANAT and commented:

I’m really fucking stoked on all the likes and new followers I got this week. Here’s a reblog of a post I think you fort sleepers will appreciate. Forever young!

September 20, 2013 at 9:15 am

4. You were right, I loved this one as well. Nice writing style and message of freedom and individuality. This one and the stairs fort post reminds me of the first post I wrote after joining WP.

Check it out if you’d like and tell me what you think. 🙂 http://myartisticbliss.com/2012/07/03/looking-out-of-windows/

– Noelle

September 18, 2013 at 8:13 pm

5. Betina Vazquez

Well written and even more accurately expressed. Wild One ❤

August 28, 2013 at 5:29 am

• Thank you for commenting, Queen B. Wild ones foreva!

August 28, 2013 at 6:17 am

6. Group gatherings are not my thing either, for a variety of reasons. I always arrive with an “early exit strategy.” Occasionally, but only occasionally, surprise! A sudden unexpected joy. I encounter somebody in the group to whom I can relate…and stay a bit longer…

August 28, 2013 at 1:39 am

• An early exit strategy, not a bad idea, Baron!

August 28, 2013 at 6:16 am

7. Heddy

Much like you always hopping the ‘fence’ to sneak past the bouncers and into Rum Bullions in college. No fake ID, not 21, no problem!

August 28, 2013 at 12:24 am

• True that Hed! Guess I’d RATHER sneak in then do it proper. Ha! Rum Bullions is still the best bar in the world!

August 28, 2013 at 6:16 am